Some of the best indoor plants to deter mosquitoes are Rosemary, Basil, Lavender, Lemon Grass, Citronella Grass, Peppermint, etc.
Mosquitoes hate the woody smell of rosemary; they are an evergreen fragrant herb from the Mediterranean with various health benefits. Rosemary can be effectively grown indoors in a small pot.
The mild citrus smell of basil deters mosquitoes from your home. Grown in tropical regions from central Africa to Southeast Asia, Basil is used in worldwide cuisines. It can be grown in containers or pots; just make sure it gets enough sunlight.
It has a sweet mint flavored scent which helps keep the mosquitoes away from your place. It is a fragrant flowering plant from the mint family native from the Mediterranean, Middle East & India. Lavender is basically an outdoor plant but can also be kept indoors near a window or somewhere the airflow is good.
4. Lemon Grass
It has a strong citrus fragrance, which deters mosquitoes from your home. Lemon Grass is a tropical island plant from the perpetual grass family in Australia, Asia, Africa. They can be grown indoors and outdoors; make sure they get adequate sunlight and regular watering.
5. Citronella Grass
The citric smell of citronella deters bugs and mosquitoes away from your house. It is known for its medicinal benefits like anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial, anti-fungal, reduces fever, relieves migraine, relaxes muscles, etc.
It has a minty fragrance that deters mosquitoes from your house. It is an aromatic plant from the mint family, native to Europe. They can be kept as an indoor or outdoor plant; it only requires partial sunlight.
Additional Tip: Read our blog to get more information on mosquito repellent plants to get rid of mosquitoes naturally.
Turmeric is a bright-yellow spice rich in medicinal, antioxidant, and anti-inflammable properties due to the active ingredient, curcumins. These are some of the proven excellent benefits of turmeric:
- Aids in preventing cancer: Since turmeric contains anti-inflammatory and medicinal properties, it can help in reducing the risk of getting cancer. Curcumin is a powerful anti-carcinogen, i.e, the substance that prevents cancers.
- Boosts immune system: Antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal properties in turmeric helps in improving and strengthening the immune system of people even with immune disorders.
- Control Diabetes: Curcumin in turmeric can reduce glucose in the blood and other diabetes-related issues. Researchers have proved that it can help in controlling diabetes.
- Lowers cholesterol: Research has proved that consuming turmeric as a food seasoning can lessen the total cholesterol levels.
- Reduces the symptoms of Arthritis: Turmeric helps in reducing inflammation and swelling in people who have arthritis. Curcumin present in the spice is effective in lessening the pain for osteoarthritis.
- Fighting age and improves skin health: As turmeric is abundant in antioxidants, it can enhance the skin’s texture and is an exfoliant. It also provides glow and radiance to the skin.
- A quick remedy to heal wounds: It is a natural antibacterial and antiseptic agent and aids in healing wounds, and acts as a disinfectant.
Apple cider vinegar is a sort of vinegar made from fermented apple juice; adding yeast into apple juice turns the sugar in the juice into alcohol. Apple cider vinegar has a long history as a home remedy, used to treat various health issues like sore throat, controlling the blood sugar level, and other issues. It has multiple health benefits, and some of them are:
- Lowers Blood Sugar Level: Studies have proven that consuming few teaspoons of apple cider vinegar before food improves insulin response and reduces blood sugar spikes if consumed with meal.
- Helps Reduce Belly Fat/ Lose Weight: There is no proven research that apple cider vinegar helps in weight loss, but it's friendly to any diet as it has fewer calories and no carbs, fat, fiber, or protein.
- Lowers Cholesterol: Apple cider vinegar has antioxidants, which help to reduce the LDL/ Bad cholesterol, total cholesterol, and triglyceride level.
- Lowers Blood Pressure: Consuming apple cider vinegar helps control renin (a hormone produced by kidneys responsible for dilating and constricting blood vessels). Apple cider vinegar relaxes your blood vessels, as blood pressure rises when the blood vessels are constricting.
- Decreases the Risk of Cancer: Regular consumption of apple cider vinegar slows down the growth of cancer cells in your body, preventing and reduce the risk of getting cancer.
- Improves Digestion: If our stomach has low hydrochloric acid (HCl), it's hard to digest foods; the acetic acid in apple cider vinegar supplements the hydrochloric acid level in your stomach improves digestion.
Everyone has their own ways of finding happiness, one of the best ways to find happiness is within yourself when you do what you love and surround yourself with your loved ones. As Mahatma Gandhi once said, "Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony."
We all are on the quest to find happiness; sometimes, happiness feels elusive or out of your reach. Though life does not go according to your plan sometimes, there are still ways to find happiness:
- Stop expecting, as studies show that you are likely to be happy if you are satisfied with what you have and what you do. Work towards realistic goals as that brings you joy.
- Being fixated on your past failures or worrying about what the future holds for you will only invite added stress and worry. Live the moment and enjoy it while you can.
- Everyone is different, the path they choose, their circumstances, and everything. Few people's life may look perfect for outside, but there is always a hidden story we are unaware of. Comparing yourself with other people will only lead you towards misery, emptiness, and lose track of your journey.
- Stay away from negative people if you choose happiness, as these people can overshadow your joy. To establish your goals and succeed, you must be an open-minded and positive thinker. It's ok to fail sometimes; accept your failure, as it helps develop a positive outlook and move towards happiness.