These are some 18 events in Indian history that will make every Indian fill with pride:
- Right to Vote: On the very next day of Independence, India gave every citizen the right to vote. It was indeed a good beginning for the country.
- First General Election in India: India took a pretty big democratic step by running the first general elections in 1951, where Congress had a huge victory. Jawaharlal Nehru became the first prime minister of India.
- Host of First Asian Games: The country started a new legacy by hosting the first-ever Asian Games in 1951 in New Delhi.
- Chipko Movement: The first resistance against forest destruction , Chipko Movement began in 1973 in Chamoli district of Uttarakhand and was started by Sunderlal Bahuguna.
- First Nuclear Test: India entered into the nuclear club in 1974 when its first nuclear test was conducted in 1974 at Pokhran. It was codenamed the ‘Smiling Buddha.’
- Launched First Satellite: India designed and completely fabricated its first satellite Aryabhata and was launched in April 1975. The satellite was named after the 5th-century astronomer Aryabhata.
- Won First Cricket World Cup: Under the captaincy of Kapil Dev, India won the first Cricket World Cup in 1983 by defeating West Indies.
- Sending Man into Space: India, for the first time, sent its astronaut Rakesh Sharma to enter space in the year 1984 in a joint mission with the Soviet Union. This was the beginning of opening a door for more outer space missions.
- Host First Cricket World Cup: 1987 Cricket World Cup was held in India and Pakistan. It was the first tournament held outside England.
- Globalization of Economy: In 1991, India opened the doors to the global market and began economic liberalization.
- Kargil War: India defeated Pakistan and successfully recaptured Tiger Hill in 1999 Kargil war under ‘Operation Vijay’. It is one of the proud moments that occurred in Indian history.
- Right to Information Act 2005: The Right to Information Act (RTI) was passed by Parliament in 2005. It allows the citizen to get information from a public authority, and it demands responsibilities from public servants.
- Chandrayaan I: India successfully launched Chandrayaan I in 2008, its first mission to the moon. Chandrayaan made the most significant achievement by discovering water molecules in the lunar soil.
- First Gold Medal in Olympics: At the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing, Abhinav Bindra won gold in the 10m Air Rifle event. He became the first Indian to win an Olympic gold medal in an individual event.
- Wins World Cricket Cup for Second Time: India won the cricket World Cup for the second time under Mahendra Singh Dhoni's captaincy in April 2011, where they defeated Sri Lanka in the final.
- Declared Polio-Free: India has eradicated Polio disease, and WHO certified it as polio-free in March 2014.
- Mangalyaan: India became the first Asian nation to reach Mars in the first attempt. It was indeed a proud moment for the country and the world.
- First Gold Medal for Athletics in Tokyo Olympics: At the Tokyo Olympics 2021, Neeraj Chopra won Men’s Javelin gold medal and became the first Indian track and field athlete to finish on the top step podium at the Games.
And India does have a lot more on the list and will keep on adding.